Failory's projects in 2021

Yesterday I wrote about Failory's goals in 2021.

Now it's time to go over the 5 projects that will help me achieve them.

1) New website design

A year ago, we started to think Webflow, the tool Failory is built on, was limiting our growth and we started considering moving to WordPress.

We reached out to some WP development agencies and got on a partnership with one: we'd sponsor their services on our website and newsletter, they'd build Failory's WP theme and site.

Knowing the agency would be building a custom WP theme for us, we decided to get Failory's site re-designed. To do so, we hired a great unlimited design service called DesignJoy (we wrote a review about them).

However, things didn't go well with the agency (partly our fault) and the development of the WordPress site, which we thought it'd take one or two months, began to take a lot longer. We started in January and November's version still had a lot of issues.

In November, unsure of the WP site's quality and usability, we decided to accept it wouldn't work and call the project to an end. We'd previously struggled to do this, as we felt like we'd already lost a lot of money and time so as to not receive anything (sunk cost fallacy).

By the time the project failed, I had already convinced myself that staying within Webflow was a better decision than moving to WordPress, a platform I've never used before and which requires more development knowledge (which I lack of).

At the same time, Webflow had been becoming better and some tools had emerged above Webflow that added it some key features (like Jetboost, Memberstack and Nocodelytics).

That's when I took the following decision: we'd stay within Webflow, but I'd re-build our website from scratch, based on the designs delivered by DesignJoy, and using tools that give Webflow super powers).

This is the main project I'll be working (and hopefully finishing) in February. I've already started it and I'm moving super fast. The new structure of the website's CMS and building based on a defined style guideline will make the whole process faster (as well as allow me to build things quicker in the future).

2) Programmatic SEO on our blog

In December, I took Pat Walls' course called Lean SEO, in which he explains his framework for coming up with content ideas, experimenting with them and scaling up or moving on based on results.

The framework is mainly focused on types of content that can led to producing thousands of content articles, particularly with no much margin effort.

Example → Suppose a database with a column of 10,000 quotes and another column with types of roles these quotes are a great fit with (product managers, CEOs, etc).

It's super easy to build hundreds of articles focused on each of these roles in which the content of the article is only the list of quotes that fit well with the role.

For example, an article could be "Best quotes for product managers" and contain a list of 300 quotes. At the same time, an article titled "Best quotes for scrum master" could include some of these 300 quotes plus many others .

I'm already carrying out some experiments. Once I see one of these perform well, I scale on it (probably by outsourcing the work or scrapping information in order to create the posts).

In my daily writings, I'll be sharing a lot of these content experiments and how they perform.

3) [Company] Cemetery

One of Failory's main sources of traffic is our Startup Cemetery.

I began thinking of ways in which I could increase the traffic of it and thought about adding it many more articles.

But then I came up with a funnier project: build cemeteries of products and startups created by bigger companies. For example, the Amazon Cemetery, a place listing and explaining all of Amazon failures.

The Amazon Cemetery is already finished and I just need to build it on Webflow and launch it. I'll be doing it just after I finish the new website design project.

After that, I'll be creating the Google Cemetery and probably the Shark Tank Cemetery. If those three perform well, I'll be doing it with more companies.

4) Digital products

As I wrote on yesterday's article, I aim to grow Failory's revenue to $10k/mo mainly by selling digital products.

Our PMF eBook, our first digital product, was a success, leading to +$3k in sales. I want to keep promoting the eBook, while launch new products.

The products will be connected between them, so that I can also cross-sell them easier. I'll also be building them thinking on a value ladder. The eBook is the first step of that value ladder, being a cheap product that delivers okay value. The next product (maybe a course) will provide more value, but be a more expensive product.

Without doubts, the way in which I'll come up with digital products, validate them and get my first sales, will be through the framework I've described over here.

5) Moving to ConvertKit

This year I'll invest more time and money into our email marketing.

The newsletter is one of Failory's main sources of income:

  • Most of the eBook sales come from the newsletter.
  • Sponsors pay $120/email sponsored. Sometimes we have two sponsors per email.
  • Subscribers tend to purchase products I recommend/mention (leading to affiliate commissions).

I don't feel comfortable with my current email marketing tool, mainly because of its UX and the lack of important features.

That's why I've decided to move to ConvertKit. It's far more expensive, but I like the company, they have all the features I need (except to A/B testing email content) and it's thought for bloggers and media sites like Failory.

Once I do the shift to ConvertKit, I'll also be working on improving the current ratio of users to email subscribes of Failory. I'll be placing better signup forms, build some lead magnets for well-performing articles of the blog and set up some sequences for new email subscribers (mainly to promote our PMF eBook).

Date: February 7